Friday, December 22, 2006

IPTV Step 2: Set top box

The set top box arrived and was set up yesterday afternoon. Connection options available are Composite AV, S-Video, Component Video and HDMI, plus Composite Audio or S/PDIF Audio. Right now I'm still waiting for my Samsung 19-inch widescreen LCD to come so I can't do much since I won't use it with my legacy CRT TV, and I have to decide if there is a need to get HDMI cables or new speakers.

Other than the standard FTA channels from Mediacorp, also available are ETTV News Asia, ETTV YoYo, Mei Ah movies and Mediacorp HD Channel. A boring lineup it is, but SingTel has thrown in a lot of Video-On-Demand (VOD) movies and documentaries, which are all free during the trial period.

Time-shift is also available on the Motorola VP1208 set-top box, which is equipped with a 80GB hard disk. You can also record your shows as well. Interactive TV Guide which shows you the shows for the day allows you to schedule the shows you want to record, and you can also record the series, like the news every night.